While yesterday wasn't totally vegan, I felt inspired to begin at lunch. So much so that I actually threw away the turkey (Panera Sierra Turkey, no less) sandwich that I had brought. Instead, lunch was a seed and dried fruit trail mix and fresh orange slices. Surprisingly, I wasn't hungry until about 6pm.
In the evening, I took a trip to the grocery store to get ingredients for various vegan dishes for the week. Got lots of beans (canned and dried), some tofu, vegan sour cream, "cheese" and veganaise, salsa, corn tortillas and shells, gluten-free pasta, brown rice, veggie marinara sauce, lots of peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, avocado, onions and some pre-made guacamole. Total ended up around $130. I anticipate spending much less in the future now that we'll have some vegan staples and condiments around the house that we won't need to buy again soon.
Dinner turned out to be easy, fast, cheap AND delicious! Made tacos for Tim, Ashley and myself. Here's how I did it: add minced garlic, some salsa and a chopped fresh jalapeƱo to a can of drained, rinsed black beans. This became the "taco meat" mixture that we put into hard or soft shells, topped with a little bit of lettuce, vegan cheese (Daiya brand) and vegan sour cream (Tofutti). Overall, pretty tasty. It's not the same as regular, but it is certainly delicious. I didn't end up with that heavy, uncomfortable feeling after the grease of normal tacos either. Also had some guacamole with corn chips as an evening snack. This is a great meal to have on hand when I don't have much prep time.
No comments:
Post a Comment